An Adventure: Rock Trail Hike

By Leslie Parks - Saturday, May 12, 2018

Seventeen years of hiking in this county and you would have thought we would have hike all the trails this county has to offer but we haven't. We haven't even come close to hiking all of them.  We were gifted a book called "Hiking Whatcom County" and the pages are dog eared, water logged, warped, and written on.  Even then, we haven't even hiked 50 percent in that book. We have come to love our favorites and with hiking relegated to Saturdays only we touch a few hikes each year.  The spring and early summer months have us hiking the lowland trail and late summer and early fall we venture into the Mount Baker Wilderness. We thought we had heard of most of the the lowland trail especially in the Chuckanuts but were surprised by a hike we hadn't heard of: Rock Trail Hike.  Apparently it is quite new, being built in the last 4 years and connects to other trails in the area.  We just had to check it out. It started at the Cyrus Gate Overlook. We were rewarded with amazing views of the San Juan islands as the day was clear.  The trail wound down the mountain and we descended over 200 stairs that we had to make our way up on the return. About 20 minutes into the hike, my camera battery died and I was left with my cell phone. This is one thing I have not mastered, the art of the cell phone photo. I am also the slowest of our hiking family since I stop often to take photos, admire a flower, step around a boulder to see the view from the other side.  So imagine my surprise as I came around the bend and saw only two of my family staring at a rock wall with small "holes" in it.  As I came closer I realized that Lona was in one of the holes and very happy with herself.  We continued on looking for more little "caves" and finding some but not quite a neat. At the bottom there is the option to hook onto the Lost Lake Trail but we were on a little of a time schedule so turning around we went back.  Isaac took off and I didn't see him again until I arrived at the trail head. I think he had been there for about 20 minutes before I arrived.  Although I had to try the little cave myself.  I wish Lona would have filmed me getting out because I'm sure it was quite comical,  It was for me doing it.  I almost got stuck, short legs that don't have the flexibility of a 15 year old.












  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments