A Date: Gordan Skagit Farms and Chuckanut Drive

By Leslie Parks - Friday, October 13, 2017




The colors of the season were teasing me and my kids were done with pumpkin patches. Their done that, been there attitude was not what I was needing and they were not excited about walking through muddy fields. I had done my research of other pumpkin patches since my favorite had closed the year before. Gordan Skagit Farms was just one county over and their website pulled at my photography needs. John graciously agreed to accompany me and so I packed my camera, pulled up google maps on my phone and we headed out. We pulled into the driveway and parked. There was just a little cloud cover to dampen the light of the sun. We were greeted by pumpkins and gourds and flowers everywhere. One of the things I love is pea gravel with cement boarders and flowers and all I had to do walk into their display to find that. Everywhere I turned was something else to delight my soul. Moss covered water trough, wreaths made of some kind of aromatic plant with mums and raffia twine. We wandered around and made our way out to the fields past rows of flowers and herbs and gourds growing on trellises.  We found our pumpkins and wandered back to pay for them.The sun came out making the aspen leaves glow, the oranges and yellows of the pumpkins pop and the blue sky deepen. I breathed in and felt the colors wrap my soul in the feel of autumn. We drove home taking the slow windy drive overlooking the Sound, top down and wind in our hair. As we drove through Edison I begged John to stop at the BreadFarm. I walked in and the flagrance of warm bread baking filled the room. I chose two different pastries and asked how they made their croissants? "Does it take you three days of rolling and rising to bake a batch?"  "Oh, we don't roll we have a laminator, do you want to see it?" I was invited into the back to look and it delighted me. Smiling I knew this croissant would taste authentic and it did. Paying for the dessert I walked back to the car and we continued on our way. Stopping a few more times to enjoy the sight of the sun, the water, the color of the trees. I tipped my head back watching the trees overhead and I laughed with the joy of a drive, the warm melt in your mouth croissant, color of the day and having sharing it with my best friend.
















  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments