Linzer Cookie Ponderings

By Leslie Parks - Friday, February 14, 2020







 I place the nuts in the pan to toast and take out the butter to soften.  My thoughts drift to the child across the country at his first duty station. He celebrated thanksgiving while in bootcamp and Christmas alone in barracks. I think it's harder for a mother to bare than an almost grown and flown young son though.  I mull over how I have felt alone on a holiday meant for couples as eggs and sugar mix with the butter.  The ground almonds are sifted with the flour and the dough is placed in the refrigerator to chill.  All through boot camp I wrote almost daily to him and to others in his unit.  I've missed the writing and the mail back.  I've been spoiled with him being able to call now that he has graduated.  The dough chilled I take the time to roll out the dough and cut them into shapes.  I think about packaging them up and shipping them off and hope that he will enjoy them and maybe share with others on shift.  A mere 7-9 minutes to bake and they are left to cool before spreading the raspberry jam and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.  As I place them gently in the bag, slipping them into the dollar store container for shipping. Slowly I walk into the post office with my package, proud of the son out on his own across country.  Nothing new to others but to me it is.  Returning home I start the process over again and this time for my children out on their own here.  

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments