Covid Thoughts

By Leslie Parks - Thursday, April 16, 2020

I've been trying to process the events that are unfolding around us, through out the world. At first it was in a far off place, interesting but relevant to my daily life? As news. We watched as it jumped by leaps and bounds to other countries, to our country, to our state, to our county. We watched as people started buying products in bulk, for 6 months. Toilet paper was scarce and that was in March. Bottled water couldn't stay on the shelf. Disinfectant wipes unattainable. Flour and yeast were just signs on empty shelves. You could feel the fear and anxiety in the stores. Then came words that we hadn't ever had in our vocabulary - social distancing. What in the world. People bought N95 masks. They became unattainable to health care workers. Hand sanitizers were unavailable as well until distilleries started making them and some donated them to anyone who wanted or needed it.  Schools closed and universities sent students home. Restaurants all closed and laid off their staff.  They became takeout only.  Door Dash, Ubber Eats, Viking Foods, and curbside deliveries became norms. All nonessential workers sent home, to work from home if possible, if not then unemployment. On top of all this Russia and Opec started a disagreement which sent oil prices plummeting which affected gas prices but also affected all refineries. They cancelled all projects, more layoffs. Airlines cancelled flights and some even closed their doors until June. More layoffs. People were encouraged not to use public transportation if at all possible.  If they had to then they needed to maintain a 6 ft distance from other riders and wear a face mask.  Memes started popping up about wearing a face mask while taking care of their banking needs.  Who would have thought we would approach tellers with a mask on? The nightly news, via reporters at home. Conference calls with kids in the background on crawling on their parents lap. This has become the new normal. Prom, Graduation Night, Graduation ceremonies all cancelled along with all professional athletic games, and concerts.  Church is now at home in front of the computer. Stocks plummet and rise and plummet and rise as fear and hope rise and plummet.  I go to work and wear a mask over my mouth and nose. I try to smile with my eyes, and I ask people how they are doing? How are they holding up? Some are sad, some anxious, some tired and some thankful that they can get their coffee and have a bit of normal in a not normal world. Most just want to talk a bit and have someone else besides their animal listen to them. An hour, two even four hours of handing out food and drinks to people needing some kind of normal and I'm tired. I come home exhausted. Some are tired of being at home, and yet this last month Anne Frank was on the cover of New York Magazine.  She spent two years hiding in an attic without going outside before she was discovered and sent to a concentration camp. I keep that in the forefront of my mind when I think about this "stay at home" order. I can leave and order take out.  I can Skype or Facetime my son who is in Maine. I can have zoom dinner parties with friends and text them to keep in contact.  John has had less interaction than I have and I think he needs something other than Lona and I.  He needs that interaction even as an engineer. He spends his days in front of the computer or on the headset on conference calls, pacing the family room. His interaction is a wave to a neighbor and petting the dog. It's been 4 weeks. And yet again, we are free to have take out, to walk around the neighborhood, to go for a run. We can sit in the sun and read a book or go to the hardware store and get supplies for neglected projects. I can look at the negative, I can play a blame game, I can feel cooped up or I can see what I do have. It's not easy and I don't do it well. I forget and need reminded but for the most part I see people pulling together and working through this "stay at home", "social distancing" " 6 ft rule" for others and themselves. This is an event that will change our society, have an impact on history. We are living through it.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments