Drayton Harbor

By Leslie Parks - Friday, August 07, 2020

One evening my husband and daughter went paddling while I stayed behind. I needed a little time alone to be refreshed.  they had a marvelous time. when I saw the video that my daughter took while kayaking with a seal that popped up behind her I knew that I had missed out and yet I knew that they had needed that bonding time together without me interfering.  The following week my husband took me out on the kayaks to see if we could find the seals which apparently aren't all that difficult to spot. The congregate on the docks at Drayton Harbor. We bobbed along, listening to them bark and snuff, watching them watch us. They would slip into the water and then raise their heads out as far as possible to see what we were doing.  Every now and then they would pop up beside us or behind us.  If their attention was on another boat and then they caught us watching us, they would quickly duck under to safety.  There was definitely a place for the young pups and the older seals. The older ones could flip themselves up onto the floating docks about a 2 feet out of the water. Then they would lumber and scoot around so that they had a quick entrance back into the water. They would roll onto their side to sleep, clean their flippers, or look around. A little bickering here or there, massive bodies moving out of the way or not, it was all a production. I sat in my kayak amazed that I hadn't experienced this before and we've lived here almost 20 years. Of course I didn't take my camera but vowed that next time I wasn't gong to leave it at home.  And so a week later we were out there again on another beautiful Pacific Northwest Evening with my backup camera in hand. This second evening on the water was considerably warmer and had been for a good portion of the week.  That meant we could smell the seals long before hearing them or seeing them. That smell coupled with bobbing up and down while trying to take sharp crisp photos did a number on my stomach. It was a calm evening and in the protected harbor, it was flat. I however have no stomach for the water what so ever unfortunately.  I felt the uneasiness long into the night even after arriving home. And yet, I am already planning another visit on the water with my camera.  














 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments