A vacation: A stag on the beach

By Leslie Parks - Wednesday, August 30, 2023



Like so many mornings when we stay at Cannon Beach, I quietly dressed, grabbed my camera and slipped out the door of our room.  Out on the beach, I kicked off my shoes, leaving them near the stairs and wandered passed Ecola Creek. When we first stayed here, I ran with the speaker's wife.  While she was jumping and skipping the rest of the day, I was in pain slowly walking up and down the stairs, over to the dining hall.  I was early 30s she was early 60s.  Lately though, instead of reaching for my running shoes, instead I reach for my camera since I never know what will inspire me on my daily walk to Haystack Rock.  This particular morning, I was treated to a usual sight for me.  I hear that this is a common occurrence for the residence of the town as the herd of elk will strip gardens and landscaping on their way oceanside.  In the predawn hours, I noticed a stag step tentatively out from a group of tall evergreens lining a street.  Nose in the air and swinging his head back and forth searching for signs of danger. Moving slowly down the sandy dune, the rest of the heard emerged.  He stopped as if he was a crossing guard while the cows and their calves meandered towards the waves.  The young practiced their fighting skills on their hind legs. They moved slowly and the stag, on guard.  Suddenly a cow breaks from the heard with her calf trying to keep up. The stag gives chase, passing and then turning her back towards his herd.  Tries again and again and each time, he gives chase, trying to keep them together.  Slowly they  worked their way to the tall wild grass growing on the dunes and disappeared.  Later towards evening, they made their way back across the beach while families flew kites, children splashed in the water and wood was being stacked for late night bonfires. But there was something magical and almost personal watching them in the early morning hours that made getting out of bed worth it.















 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments