A Connection

By Leslie Parks - Friday, January 02, 2015



I love books, especially fiction books or books that have a nostalgic feel to them. Every year at Christmas I get out my stack of Christmas books. They include such titles as "The Night Before Christmas", "The Polar Express", and "The Sweet Smell of Christmas ". The last one my mom bought me to replace the one we had when I was a child. I love to introduce my kids to books that I enjoyed when I was younger or even sharing stories now. This year I bought a new book to add to my collection. It's not really a book, it's a devotional but I'm including it with my Christmas books. I didn't read it every day. I didn't want to put that much pressure on myself but when I found extra time I would read a few pages although I didn't want to read ahead. I wanted that anticipation of what would come next. Often times in the fiction books I have read, there are prophecies about the main character or for the main character. It happens over and over and over again.  I know that the Bible has prophecy in it that was fulfilled by Jesus but it really struck me this year.  The Bible isn't fiction and it has true prophecy in it, all over pointing to Jesus, better than any fictional book could ever have. Two specific fiction books that I can think of are "Rowan of the Rin" and "Gregor the Overlander."  I think we as people love the thought of something pointing to future events and puzzling them out. However, this year it really struck me that we have that very thing but it isn't fiction. While reading the Advent devotional, the prophecy really stood out over and over again. I don't know why it made such an impact this year but it did. I loved reading the prophecies and writing little notes in the Advent book, making little doodles and highlighting things I want to remember.  My hope is to add to it next year and maybe my kids will want to read through it as well.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments