Another Season: Boys Ranger Soccer

By Leslie Parks - Sunday, September 17, 2017



Somehow we stumbled onto a team through association and we found ourselves at a tournament. I watched wondering, is this for us, for him? The boys looked like men, I didn't see that in him. I saw him sprint, his little skinny legs stretched out in a race against these legs that doubled in size compared to his. I watched as the boys, men really, went shoulder to shoulder, jostling, pushing against each other. I was used to another type of soccer. A type of soccer that was not as physical but more mental. I was used to calls being made when a player was on the ground. This type of soccer wasn't like that. There were slide tackles and out right shoves, jerseys being pulled, and almost football tackles. It was a shock. Was I ready? I wasn't sure but I bit my tongue, put my camera to my eye and distanced myself from the action. I needed that space that my camera provided.  I wasn't sure if this was for us. I held my breath as he went on and off the pitch and I braced for a season to come.




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments