An Adventure: Kayaking the North Fork

By Leslie Parks - Sunday, September 10, 2017


 John has kept his whitewater kayak for 25 plus years. The last five, I've begged him to do something with it.  It has been collecting green growth on it from just sitting against the side of the house. However Job has got it into his head that he wants to kayak a river in it. Last summer he put it in the pool and just paddled around and this summer he worked on the Eskimo roll.  Then he went down the South Fork with John and Josh. Now it was time to test him on something a little harder. It was time for the North Fork of the Nooksack. I used to run shuttle for John when he was kayaking in college and after we were married and so it was natural for me to run the shuttle for both of my men. My only criteria was that John would bring back my baby alive. We pulled into the parking lot of the put in and the gate was closed and locked. They hiked their kayaks down to the river, came back for their gear and returned to the water, dog leading the way.  They pushed off and started down the river with the dog panicking as he tried to run and swim after them.  They paddled to shore so that I could get the dog under control.  He didn't want to be left.  Then it was just the dog and I at the river's edge.  He kept looking down stream, knowing that's where his pack went.  I realized that we needed to head to the take out.  I hoped that I could spot them along the way but I couldn't.  I found the take out and had to drag the dog down the steep river bank.  He hated it and found a small spot to curl up and wait.  After about 45 minutes of waiting at the take out, I spotted them coming around the river bend.  John in the lead and Job following.  Job caught up, planned his path around the boulders, and pulled into the eddie where I sat. We hauled the kayaks up the bank, they stripped off their gear and back into the truck we went. That's when I heard about the times he went swimming, meaning the kayak flipped over and he was upside down in the river.  This happened not once but 3 times!  I think it installed a little healthy fear of the river in that boy.










  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments