The Homefront: Swedish Cardamom Cinnamon buns

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, February 27, 2018

This was the winter that I looked forward to. I wanted the snow this winter, the cancelled school, the time at home with my family. This winter I craved baking, the smells from the oven, the not too sweet morning buns. But winter came and with it only a few days of snow and no cancellations. I baked anyway. I heated the milk, added the yeast and waited. I added the flour and spices. I opened the cardamon pods, released the seeds and ground them in my mortar and pestle.




 I added it to my flour mixture. It rose on the stove as I waited and cleaned. I prepared the filling of cinnamon and butter and a little sugar. I rolled out the dough, spread a layer of filling and rolled the dough over. I cut the strips and started twisting until these beautiful swirls came through. Brushing on the egg wash and adding pearl sugar, I let them rise again before baking The house filled with the scent of cinnamon and cardamom. I snuggled under a blanket with my coffee and book to enjoy the afternoon. Though there were no snowflakes that twisted, swirled and danced outside, inside I created my own.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments