An Outing: Bike Riding in Fairhaven

By Leslie Parks - Saturday, April 21, 2018


There seems to be a time when our kids finally get to be pretty cool and are fun to hang out with on a more peer level. The flip side of that is they don't want to hang out with us.  It isn't that I didn't like to hang out with them before, I did.  It 's just that it was a parent child relationship. It is also harder and harder to get everyone together to do a family thing.  They are starting to develop their own lives outside of ours on a more regular basis. This time we were able to snag Isaac for a Saturday morning bike ride through Fairhaven.  We told him it would only take a couple of hours but by the time we were done it was the whole morning!  We started at Boulevard and made our way along the Boardwalk and past the Iron Rooster Bakery which was almost too enticing to pass up, but I made John promise to stop on the way back. Then we rode along the interurban trail past Fairhaven Park and onto Arroyo Park. Biking isn't Isaac's favorite especially mountain biking.  I'm not good at that so we only ventured 10 minutes into the park.  I am not sure why but John always waits for just at the crest of the hill and I ended up having to walk my bike the rest of the way because he doesn't move.  He waits because I have to stop for photos or to psych myself up for the downhill hairpin narrow turns of the trail. This ended our outbound trip and and I pedaled hard to earn that chocolate croissant from Iron Rooster Bakery.  It was so worth it. That crusty, flaky mouth watering croissant with just the right amount of chocolate practically melted when I ate it and the coffee was perfectly paired with it. I am already looking forward to the next little outing to the bakery.  Then it was time for our last little ride back to the car and were surprised with a regatta or sailboat lesson on the bay.  We stopped to watch these little keel boats maneuver around floats.  It was interesting and I wish I knew more about what was happening because there were directions called out and boats peeling off.

















  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments