Buddhist Temple: Richmond

By Leslie Parks - Sunday, May 06, 2018


 One of the things I've always wanted to do was visit the buddhist temple in Richmond BC.  We've driven by it for years and I've known that they allow visitors but we've always had other plans. However, this was part of our plan while John's brother, Kevin was here. Most of the days were cloudy and not warm so we were hunting for indoor things to do.  This was outside with just a little inside stuff but the rain held off and we were able to wander the temple grounds.  I am not sure what I expected, maybe a group of monks walking from building to building or in prayer.  I don't know.  I guess I didn't expect that there would statues of the "buddhas". I didn't expect the buddas to have painted eyes and their expressions.I didn't expect statues of elephants with designs I associate with India. I didn't expect statues of deer with leopard spots and bushy tails. I didn't expect the grounds to eerily quiet or see offerings before the buddha statues.  I did expect the architecture of the curved roofs, the hanging lanterns, the bright red and gold colored buildings and chinese writings. I wish I understood more of what everything was about and the significance of the animals and statues. However I am not going to do any reading outside of visiting this area.

This sign says, do not ride the deer.  I didn't know it was a deer.






What is this animal and why is the other animal standing on it with claws out?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments