South Skagit Valley Highway

By Leslie Parks - Monday, November 30, 2020



I pulled my visor down on my helmet and after making sure my camera backpack was securely and safely fastened to the back of the sissy bar I swung my leg over the bike and settled in.  John sat in the driver seat revving the engine. My body leaned into his as my arms encircled his waist. We pulled out of the driveway and onto the road ready to enjoy an adventure on this blue sky autumn day.  We were together yet alone on this adventure. Sitting next to each other and yet unable to say a word over the roar of the engine as we made our way down the highway.  I felt totally secure on the back and as we rode along.  I was utterly immersed in the experience.  A tap on the shoulder and he would pull over so that I could grab my camera and capture it on film knowing that it could only represent a small portion of this experience.  This ride was a bit of freedom, spontaneity, adventure, and also doing it together. A tap on my leg from him and I knew we would pull over.  The sign to other riders who were enjoying the same kind of adventure we were was a kind of comradery that I really didn't know even existed. These small quiet gestures spoke volumes. The leaves had mostly fallen and collected along side of the road. The sun that shone so bright and the chilly air quickly becoming colder the longer we were out. The beauty of a steel bridge across a shrub lined river, the sunlight streaming through a train tunnel decorated in crusty orange leaves painted the adventure in colors that I just couldn't quite capture. As we neared home I was a bit chilled and just longed for a good cup of chili and a nice warm shower; however my adventurous free spirit was already planning another ride down this little used bit of highway.







 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments