Mosaic Field Trip

By Leslie Parks - Friday, October 02, 2009

This year I want to do so more field trips. We have talked about secret codes and secret signs. We've also looked at mosaics so we headed to Creativitea for a little art project/field trip.
This place is great. It may seem like a pricey tag for the project but they have everything you need. There are ceramics to paint/stamp and glass squares to make mosaic pictures. In the past we've done the ceramic paintings and we've tried the glass as well. So we thought we'd do the glass again.
There are long flat sticks, small squares, then smaller pieces in three sizes from chunks to granules. They have the glue and the cutters available for you as well. The table is laid out so that it is next to the window with supplies.


The table has little grid mats that collect small pieces of glass.
The kids were fairly self-sufficient. I helped them cut a couple pieces of glass but they did the rest.


These were the projects that they came up with.

I was able to wander around and look at some of the projects some other people have done. In my dreams I would be able to make something look this good. I have an Aunt in Switzerland that does some amazing work. She has tea cups with gold rims and delicate flowers. They look like they were purchased from some china company. She has such a wonderful gift. I'm not one of those. I tried on once but it turned out terrible. I had a picture in my mind but I couldn't get it to work out. An artist I'm not. Good thing because if everyone could be an artist then being an artist wouldn't be special. So I look and appreciate and hopefully I can allow the kids some creative time without the pressure of producing a masterpiece. All in all, I think that the field trip was a success. We picked up the pieces about a week later. I haven't taken photos of them yet.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments