End of Outdoor Soccer

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Every year I take my camera out and take photos of the kids on the teams. Then I go through all the photos and pick out about 5 - 6 photos of each kid, and a few team photos and some funny photos and I set it to music, publish it and burn it to CDs. I scour the Internet for "soccer" songs and also quotes. Sometimes the quotes are soccer related, sometimes they are just motivational. Last spring, I only made a DVD for Job's team and Isaac's team. It was too hard for Lona's team. For game days the team was split in half and each 1/2 team played 4 different matches in an hour. There were 14 girls on the team so it almost made it impossible. This year Lona's team stayed all together and played only one match in an hour. There were only 10 girls on the team which made it much more doable. I took over 600 photos for each team and narrowed them down to less than 70 photos. Soccer can be such a challenge to photograph because of the pace of the game. For me I liked being able to change my focus point at the touch of a button. It also helped to have the focus on the opposite side that the player is running to. This allowed me to photograph a player running into empty space in the photo and make the photo more dynamic. With that in mind I have plenty of photos that don't follow that rule. Some children are harder to photograph because of the position they play, how they play, whether I have to be at another match, or how often the player is at the match. With three children and practices 4 nights a week, there was some matches that either overlapped or were at the same time. My goal was to have 90% of the photos done by game three and then organize and get the last minute photos. I had this done for 2 out of 3 teams. I do have to say that having a telephoto zoom lens is a must for me. I'm trying to talk John into purchasing a fast zoom lens. It would make taking indoor soccer and ballet/tap recital photos easier. I would also love to hang out behind the goal and take photos instead of photos from the touchlines (sidelines). Sadly parents/spectators aren't allowed behind the goal line.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments