Grandpa Parks and technology

By Leslie Parks - Friday, March 18, 2011



Every once in a while John's Dad and Pat come for a visit.  We try to schedule those visits around soccer games.  The schedule is typically arrive sometime Friday afternoon, go to a game, spend the night, have breakfast, and around noon drive back home.  The last few times, Jim brought his computer with him and John has worked on it, formating, trying things out, getting drivers installed.  Isaac followed suit and tried to get email set up on Jim's new cel phone.  Then he tried to help Pat with her phone too.  It is inevitable that my grandkids (if I have them) will be programing things for me.  I probably will not be able to keep up with technology.  I find it amazing of how much things have changed in my little life time.  I remember going to college and AOL had just started.  Email was done only within internet providers, which was new.  Computers used dial-up.  Is that even an option now?  Cel phones were supper expensive.  By the time I graduated from college, there were bulletin boards that you could get to and play games and they didn't have the graphics we see now.  Texting, not even a concept.  How did we do research?  Remember buying encyclopedias?  Just today I had the kids research the Nile River.  The first thing they did was Google it.  Really?  How much more has it changed for my parents, my grandparents? 
Le pere de John et son amie vient pour une visite.  Ils ont arrive a l'apres-midi vendredi et ont departe samdi vers midi.  La derniere fois il a pris son ordinateure.  John a mis des chose sur l'ordinateur.  Isaac est juste comme John.  Il a essaie d'enseigner Jim d'utilizer email par son portable.  Je realise que des chose a change beaucoup dans ma vie.  Quand je commence a l'universite, je n'a pas l'internet ou emial.  A le fin, j'ai internet mais pas comme maintenant. Je n'ai pas un portable.  Si ca change vite pour moi, ca change plus vite pour mes parents et grandparents en ses vies.  C'est incroyable.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments