Christmas

By Leslie Parks - Monday, December 31, 2012







 


I always have in my mind how I want Christmas day to unfold.  I have these visions of perfectly dressed children who are kind and laughing and excited.  I have an expectation that when I rise from bed the house will be clean and after the presents are opened we'll pick up the mess and be ready to get on with the day in a clean house and maybe even have some people over to play games with.  That is my idea.  Reality:  The kids are up way to early and into their stockings.  I figure that's what stockings are for, to entertain the kids until there is nice light to open presents.  I awake with a rat's nest in my hair and puffy eyes from not enough sleep.  I barely drag myself downstairs and bumble into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. Then with coffee in hand I hunt for my camera.  I have to say that I'm glad I'm the one with the camera because I know how I look Christmas morning.  The kids can pull off pjs and hair sticking up but I don't look that good.  Traditionally John reads about Jesus' birth from the Bible complete with his voices for the different people.  We love it.  Then the kids open their presents.  I have to say that it was hard to shop for Isaac this year.  He's at the age where he doesn't want toys except for electronics.   He received my old touch and a new diabetes pump.  I think he was more excited about the touch.  He uses it, not the same way I do.  Job wore his rollerblade backpack all day.  He kept bumping into things with it.  I finally made him take it off.  Lona is obsessed with Doctor Who this year and her favorite was a sonic screwdriver pen and her Dr Who shirt.  Reality about the house, we don't have places for some of the gifts so the house stays a mess.  Someday I'll get that figured out, but not this year.  I spent the day reading books and putting together a puzzle while the kids enjoyed their stuff.  John has been cooking ever since he's been home on vacation.  When he's ready to eat he just jumps into the kitchen and starts cooking.  I haven't done much in the kitchen except to clean up and Christmas day was that way as well.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments