A Goodbye: Piano

By Leslie Parks - Sunday, December 27, 2015

After many years of piano lessons it's time to say goodbye.  I'm having a hard time with it. I want so badly for my daughter to continue playing the piano. I want to hear the music float through the house. I love listening to her play and at times I'm a little envious of how easy it is for her. It's almost like a second language. If she put more effort in it she would be almost fluent but it isn't her passion, her dream.  It's an activity but nothing more. It was easier being homeschooled to keep up with piano. It was the first thing she did in the morning and it was part of her schedule, just like math or reading. But as with life, things change and part of that is moving on from homeschool to public school. Now it has been put on the back burner. She comes home and has a snack, starts on school work then goes to soccer practice. Piano is just not the first thing she does and it makes me sad. Sometimes it's Monday after school when she gets to practice, right before her lesson. It just isn't working anymore. She doesn't want to quit but isn't willing to put forth the effort to make time to practice.  I can't make her practice.  I can, but it isn't productive at all and leaves both of us discouraged.  So after tears from myself and maybe a little from her, it's time to say goodbye to this area of her life.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments