An Outing: Mug Shots at Olympic Game Farm

By Leslie Parks - Thursday, December 10, 2015

Lona had a game in Sequim last weekend. It's the farthest we travel for games and it really isn't all that far but getting there is the difficult part.  Basically there are two options, drive all the way around the sound or take the ferry across.  Either way ends up being the same amount of time, however by taking the ferry you don't have to drive the whole time.  You are just at the mercy of the ferry schedule.  I chose the ferry.  We had some time to waste before and after the game, more so after the game and so Ilona (a teammate who came with us) suggested the Olympic Game Farm.  We had about 10 minutes from the time the game ended and they let the last car in before closing. We barely made it. I didn't know what to expect so I only bought two loaves of bread, if I ever go back I'd buy two loaves a person at least.  I pulled past the gate and followed the signs up a hill past cages of some kind of deer then over a cattle guard.  This is where it became exciting.  The llamas poked up their heads and started over towards our van.  With a little skip and a jump they were right next to us. The girls rolled down their window and the llamas poked their heads inside the vehicle.  I had my window down too but decided that when the llama poked it's head inside and looked at me right in the eyes and then laid back it's ears and squinted it was time to not be that close. We continued slowly down the hill, with the llamas right beside us.  As we turned the corner at the bottom of the hill, the yaks took notice and moved in. They used their horns to nudge the llamas out of the way and they started poking their heads inside.  At one point we had llamas on one side and yaks on another.  The llamas liked to nibble on the rubber part of the window while the yaks used the mirrors to itch their heads. This whole time, I'm trying to take photos and move slowly on through the park. The girls would reach out and try to touch the horns of the yaks or the necks of the llamas. And then came the zebras. Lona and Ilona were able to get photos of the zebras smiling (or at least it looked like they were smiling). Once past the llamas, yaks and zebras we came to the Kodiak bears.  There were signs everywhere to tell us to stay in the vehicle.  The wolves paced their cages and you could almost read their cunning thoughts. We pulled up to the elks and were paid a visit from them.  They are huge even without their antlers.  We were warned not to stop in the gateway but to feed them before the gate.  Somehow I neglected to see the sign about not stopping in the buffalo section and stop we did.  When the buffalo knocked the van with it's horn, I was a little freaked out and decided to keep  moving.  Only after that happened did I see a sign about it. The girls though did get to touch the buffalo before we drove off.  Lona did get a view of it's tongue and it tried to reach in and grab the bread by curling it's tongue around it.  It took over an hour to go through and we didn't get to all of it. We had a ferry to catch.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like