A Project: Deathflake Mittens

By Leslie Parks - Friday, May 12, 2017



The rain still splatters on the pavement even though it is spring and the buds are swelling on the trees. Tulips and daffodils poke their stems and leaves out of the soil and there is a hint of sunnier days. Yet, here I sit working on mittens. I'm finding contentment as the pattern of red and white start to be defined. I work one mitten, learning the construction as each row is added. The needles tiny and the yarn tangles but it forces me to think, to be quiet, to enjoy the now. I look out the window at the rain knowing that it isn't going to last for ever.  I've been reading lately about Hygge (pronounce Hoo gah). It started with an article in a magazine and from there I've checkout books about it, purchased them online, and starting practicing. The idea of hygge is creating a cozy mood, one of comfort, simplicity, joy, of slowing down and enjoying the moment whether it is washing dishes, picking up shoes, or having a cup of coffee.  It can be with friends or alone but usually not a huge party. I may have Danish in my blood because I've craved this. I've always had a hard time with the crazy. Too much running around, too many things resting on my shoulder with a type A personality is difficult. I've struggled with the stay-at-home mom routine when my culture says work, get a job, don't waste your life on being just a mom. However, being a stay-at-home mom is what I've chosen, what we've chosen for our family. I've never from my husband felt like I was not pulling my weight or helping out. In fact it's been the opposite, he has encouraged and appreciated what I do. It's me and my inner voice that have condemned myself. It's what I think society says to do. So this year, I've been striving to celebrate my vocation with the little things that feed my soul such as knitting Deathflake mittens and enjoying a cookie with my coffee.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments