A Season: Autumn

By Leslie Parks - Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Stepping outside the autumn sun blazes down illuminating the world in golden hues. The leaves that were once green have changed into brilliant jewel tones from ruby red to burnished gold barely hanging from the trees until gathered by quick short bursts of  wild wind only to be dumped on sidewalks and forest paths until they are kicked and crunched by shuffling feet. There is a smell of chimney smoke floating along as it mixes with the damp odor of the earth underfoot. As I breathe out, my breath materializes as mist only to be replaced by my next breath as I trudge along. The air almost burns my lungs from the cool crispness of it. I pause, close my eyes drawing in not just the autumn air but the feeling of sun on my face, the calling of geese overhead, the crackling of the leaves beneath my feet. I inhale autumn and everything it promises.








  • woodpiles, axes, spider webs, jewel tone leaves, wood smoke, frosted yards and windows hay bales
  • blue and grey skies, rain drops, morning fog, mist hugging the river like a blanket
  • sweaters and scarves shed by afternoon, plaid blankets
  • soccer and football games, forest walks, mushroom hunting, bird hunters & black labradors
  • coffee, hot cocoa, caramel spiced cider, 
  • pumpkins, corn stalks, stacked baskets of apples, potatoes, onions, soups, pies, crisps and crusty warm bread, acorns, roasted chestnuts 
  • trick or treaters, costumes, candy, jack o lanterns and dark nights





 





















I breathe all this in and more, storing it in my mind.  I know this will give way to the dark bleak days of never ending winter grey. So now as I watch the squirrels scurry and gather, store and hide, I do the same with the treasure that is autumn. This gift is not to be squandered and rushed through with blinders on but to be gathered, sipped on, gently tucked away in the memory drawers of my mind so that I may open them and enjoyed again like a fine wine one by one after the hype of Christmas is gone and the short days blend into the long dark nights of winter.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments