A Slow Week: Snowy Hovander

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, February 12, 2019


There was a chance of snow flurries and they canceled school. I saw it as an opportunity to take the dog to Hovander thinking he would swim after our walk and then warm up in the car on the way home and in the house. He had other ideas. He usually heads to the water right away but this time I led him straight out on the path and he checked every spot on the bank to see if there was a way to the water. What do you expect from a golden retriever/ Labrador mix? He is a water dog through and through. He finally found his way down to the water.  I yelled no as he was on a slide down the bank and I couldn't see any way for him to scrabble backup. He went right into the water breaking the ice on the edge and swimming happily.  However, since he stinks at climbing it meant that I needed to make my way down and then push his butt up the embankment. Muddy gloves, pants, boots, coat.  A water dog yes, a climbing dog no.  He's afraid of heights and scrabbling up the bank was done with his belly on the ground and crawling.  Not even a quarter of our way into our walk and I figured we needed to head home.  Just for me to dry out, and yet this dog had other ideas.  He may have been wet but his sniffer still worked and the rest of the park to explore.  We made our way back to the car in a circuitous route with bunny trail explorations.  The life of a dog owner.  I wouldn't trade it.





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments