Wild burros

By Leslie Parks - Monday, May 03, 2021



With myy camera in my lap, we drove down Carefree Highway, I scanned each side for possible sightings of wild burros. I probably should refer to them as feral burros as they are not native to area but introduced in the 1600s and later used as pack animals for miners before either being turned loose or escaping into the desert. Their grey and light brown coats, and white under bellies help them blend in with their surroundings.  Though the signs warning of possible burro crossings  I didn’t really expect to see any and then under a saguaro were two little burros in the distance.  We stopped so that I could jump out to photograph them.  I wanted a closer photo but if this was what I could get I’d be happy. We continued on towards Lake Pleasant in hopes of a more personal opportunity.  As we skirted the lake we came around a jack as the males are called.  Pulling right up to him, I rolled down my window. He leaned in plucking the apple from my hand,  Obviously use to hand outs.  He moved slow, not fearful, not in a hurry.  Just plodded and looked.  Were there others nearby?  I wasn’t comfortable with the cars and trucks passing along the highway and so we left this jack grazing on scrub at the edge of the highway. We topped the rise overlooking the lake thinking we had seen our little burros.  Turning around we retraced our course through gullies and washes, up and down little hills until I yelled stop.  There in the distance was a group of burros.  Three of them to be exact.  I hoped out with my camera and walked closer, trying to be wary of snakes as I made my way towards this little family group. I could hear braying in the distance, it seemed as if this area was suddenly alive with burros calling to each other. The sun was low in the sky and the burros had started to make their way towards their watering holes. I carefully and slowly approached this little group trying to line up the light and the burros. They stopped eating and just watched, wary but not too concerned. As I moved a bit closer, one of the larger ones, a Jennie strategically placed herself between the littlest one and me.  Burros aren’t skittish, they assess a situation before running away and are known to fight as much as scatter.  I snapped a few more photos before slowing backing away to return to our jeep.  Meanwhile the braying continued in the distance.  Satisfied I was ready to return back to our home base when I noticed another small small group right next to the gravel road.  John quickly pulled over and I again jumped out.  The light was perfectly soft and pink, the prickly pear in the foreground and the burros watching me with their soft brown eyes through long lashes seemed iconic.  I couldn’t help but chuck a half apple to keep them there and interested. A few clicks and they were ready for me to be on my way.  I had my fill of burros. Happy and content with the experience we returned to our home base with something on my must do list checked off.









 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments