Exploring: Double Arch and Window Arch

By Leslie Parks - Friday, May 14, 2021



The afternoon sun baked the dusty trail as we made our little walk towards the shade provided by the Double Arch attraction. The trail and arches were full of other visitors longing for a photo and we added to it.  The dryness of the region was always present and our water bottles needed to be replenished.  I found myself in the middle of crisscrossing rock arches thinking of the many sandcastles I've built while playing along a beach.  This was a new perspective of arches I had made out of sand.  Carefully placing my hand and feet in small rock indents, I scrabbled up to the bottom of one the arches.  Exhaling slowly, I motioned for my camera to be passed up to me.  A different perspective, a different view greeted my eyes.  It seemed as though I was always surprised here.  Delighted with views the arches provided.  How was it that this was our last stop.  I passed my camera down and plotted my descent.  My foot stretched down, finding a ledge, then the other foot.  My hands feeling for holds, inching my way down until I reached bottom.  We made our way back to the parking lot and past climbing the small hilly trail until we reached Turret Arch.  Flat wide steps carved out of the rock led to the arch like a forgotten entrance to a castle door.  Imagining it was a doorway to another world just there.  The fencing scene between the masked man and Ingo Montoya in the Princess Bride came to mind and we climbed.  Around to South and North Window the path led us and I had one last view of this amazing place.















 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments