A season: Wrestling

By Leslie Parks - Friday, December 29, 2017



Another wrestling season and he's made weight! This is a huge gain from last year. Again on JV but I've seen him win a match. The light weight wrestlers crouch low to the ground,, quickly circling each other with their arms out, tapping heads, reaching for legs like crab squaring up on the beach. The heavy weight wrestlers come out to the mat and lock heads like bears, pulling on arms lumbering in a circle. It is a totally different form of wrestling from each end of the spectrum and Job is at the light end. He hangs with his team, preferring to be by the coaches. I don't know if he's picking anything up from their talking to the other wrestlers or he just likes their company. He loves this sport. 

His face when he wrestles is intense. I feel myself tense up as well, almost not daring to breathe while he's out on the mat. Wanting so bad for him to win, by points and a pin if possible. I recently saw him go against the 1st place wrestler in state in the 106 weight class. I wasn't sure what to think. He outweighed the kid by 7 lbs but the kid was tough. He was taken down in the first two minutes but he didn't get pinned, he held off. Same thing happened in the second round.  So it was down to the last round. Job started on the top position and almost had the kid pinned. Both of these kids could work their shoulders so they weren't pinned but neither could get out of a bottom position. It was a good match up. When the third round was over, Job had lost by points but to me I considered it a win. He withstood the other wrestler. He worked hard, almost bridging out of the pin. They were both exhausted.

He's had to wrestle his own team mate twice and I think they just go out there and spar, having fun and laughing. I really like watching them have fun. The wrestlers seem to all get along and do things outside of wrestling at times.







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments