An Experience: 5 Things This Summer

By Leslie Parks - Monday, June 11, 2018

I've made my bucket list for the summer and they have my usual things such as favorite hikes, backyard projects, and finding new favorite food trucks. Yet the idea of listing 5 new things to experience intrigued me.  They needed to be attainable because lets face it, I probably will not be able to experience ziplining in Costa Rica this summer, if that was what I even wanted to do.  Not that I would mind it but it isn't realistic for this summer.  So they have to be realistic and fit into our already packed summer of soccer.  They also need to be free or close to it.  After brainstorming and looking at my summer bucket list I put pen to paper and wrote 5 things I would like to experience this summer.

1. Sleep in a Yurt.  Yep, it's a glorified tent.  A friend of ours would load up his four kids into backpacks and sleds then he and his wife would ski into a yurt for 3 to 5 days.  I've always wanted to do something similar with our family.  This summer Lona has a soccer tournament and wanting to save a little money I started looking at Air B&B's instead of hotels.  When a yurt was listed I decided to book it.  We will have to see if the experience actually lives up to expectation.

2. The Freemont Farmer's Market. It looks intriguing. I've experienced farmer's markets before but it is always fun to tryout a new one in a different place.  There are crafts, food, vintage stuff, and music.  This market is open every Sunday, all year round, from 9 am to 4pm and is in it's 27th year.  Maybe a date with my husband some Sunday? When we have a free Sunday. That is going to be the key.


3. Photographing the stars.  I've only done this once before but I haven't photographed the milky way and then there is light painting where you light up the foreground with the stars in the background.  Maybe Oyster Dome or Sumas Mountain with Baker in the background.  A thermos of hot cocoa or coffee, blankets in the back of the truck or headlights and hammocks.  It should be an experience hiking in or driving in and the view should be amazing. Stars always are.






4. Driving my car with the top down as much as possible.  This is my first summer with a convertible and I want to experience every nice day that I can.  I love being able to do that.





5. Kayaking the creeks that empty into the Sound.  The key is to start when the tide is coming in to land and it will make paddling easier. Then when the tide turns, you ride the current back down the creek.  I just need to wait until the days are warmer and so is the water.





These are 5 things, some small, some bigger. Some take planning and some can be more spur of the moment things. I am excited to take on this challenge of tackling these new experiences and whatever comes with them this summer.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments