An Adventure: Exploring the Greenbelt via tandem bike

By Leslie Parks - Saturday, June 30, 2018


Riding tandem is something I've wanted to try for a while now. It looked intriguing and when the opportunity came up while we were in Boise we jumped at the chance. Since it was just the three of us, we rented one tandem and one regular bike. Lona and I started off as partners in the middle of downtown on a Saturday morning while the farmer's market was in full swing.  It took us about 8 city blocks to get the hang of starting and stopping. We walked every crosswalk until we got to the greenbelt.  Once on the greenbelt it became a piece of cake. When we started the first person would tell the 2nd person when to start pedaling and we would be off.  I had heard that the 2nd person couldn't see anything and was pretty much blind. With Lona on the front, it was no problem. I could look around her, we talked and laughed a lot and it was great. Then it was time for a change. I was in front, John was behind me. The 2nd person has to trust and really relinquish control.  John and I didn't even make it across the street.  He couldn't help but steer which made it worse. Then the chain came off.  Apparently it is much harder to put a tandem chain on since you have to line up the pedals just so in order for them to function correctly. Luckily for us, a person who was passing us had a tandem at home and showed us how to do it.  Then I rode in the back and John road in the front. Now I truly felt blind. He sat up higher on the bike and has a broader frame than Lona.  I couldn't see anything.  My legs had to stick out a bit so they didn't hit the handle bars and I was always afraid of hitting them on something as we went by.  I couldn't see people coming towards us or obstacles in the path or bumps. He had to constantly warn me.  It was much harder. Finally we found a place for lunch.  Boise residents are so thoughtful.  The greenbelt follows the Boise River and there are houses that back up to the greenbelt.  On resident placed plastic chairs, a bench, a bike rack and a bucket of dog bones for dogs to fetch from the river.  It was the perfect place for a picnic. Lona and John were partners on the return trip with Lona starting off as the lead.  It was hilarious to watch.  I almost couldn't ride.  Then they switched and Lona would take her feet off the pedals and John would do all the work. She said she felt like a little kid in one of the child seats.  That's what it looked like too.  Then Lona and I jumped on for the rest of the ride home with her in the front and me in the back.  As we started down one of the main streets in Boise, someone pulled up beside us and started taking a photo.  Turns out it was one of the parents from the soccer team.  Boise is truly a small city and I can see why people love it here.
 Sanpellegrino and salami cream cheese bagels, and sweet peppers were our lunch, complete with a tablecloth.














  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments