A getaway: Bellevue and Seattle

By Leslie Parks - Saturday, December 22, 2018


It was needed: time away. We've been struggling lately, not with each other but with different things going on within the family. It had been almost a year and we needed to regroup as a couple, gain perspective and talk. We need to flesh out how to handle things, how we felt about things, and to just relax. John had taken Lona to a soccer game in Seattle earlier and heard about the Snowflake Lane Parade in Bellevue. Ever since then it was on his bucket list to go this year. My idea was a cabin in the woods, some snowshoeing, and a fire in the fireplace, but when my husband wants to spend money on a weekend who am I to complain about where. We drove down on a Friday afternoon, checked in and then explored the neighboorhood via a walk. On our walk, John discovered a couple of things: 1) Friday night is the night to get nails done (the nail places were packed) and 2) you can get eyelash extensions.  We have become a society of fakeness.  I like to get my nails done.  I do have to admit to that.  I just want one thing in my life that is put together and looks good.  My hair, my lack of makeup, my clothes, my life can be in shambles but I just need one thing that is nice.
So lesson learned we decided to hunt for a place to eat.  We looked at Yelp reviews but didn't want to drive and so wandered until we found a nice little Irish pub. The pub had a better atmosphere than the taste but it wasn't bad just wasn't exceptional. Aftward we started making our way to the parade route.  It was packed.  Amazing since it had been going on every night since Thanksgiving and was only an hour long.  I am not sure what I was expecting maybe a little like Macy's Day parade.  They had people walking around before the parade started in stilts and costumes.  Then the parade started and the Christmas music was full on coming from large speakers mounted high on the buildings and  "fake" snow shooting out over the crowd.  We were 5 deep as the parade came by.  Each float, band member, or support person I think came from the local high schools.  Within an hour it was done and everyone started to make their way down the street to take photos with the background lights.  It was interesting and I'm not sure I need to go again unless it's with a grandkid (so who knows if I'll be back). We were going to sit in the hot tub later but it was packed with kids and I didn't relish the thought sitting in there that night or the next morning.  I was sure it hadn't been cleaned.  We ended up going to sleep early, I just couldn't stay awake.  The next morning we took our time with breakfast and then decided to try the Seattle Underground Tour.  I've heard a lot about it and have always wanted to see what the hype was.  We didn't need reservations, there were lots of spots available. We joined a group and waited for our time to start the tour.  It was interesting, the tour guide had a lot to say. Her humor was dry and witty.  She did a good job entertaining with stories. I think the kids would like it but again I probably wouldn't go again unless it was to take someone who came into town. It was nice to play tourist and get away for 24 hours.











  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments