Exploring: Silver Lake

By Leslie Parks - Wednesday, June 09, 2021


With Lake Whatcom, Padden, Terrell and Sammish right in our back yard practically, we really haven't taken time to appreciate Silver Lake.  We drug our boats across the parking lot, going back and forth for gear and camera equipment.  Pushing our with my oar, I paddled towards the grassy bank opposite from the launch.  The warm shallow water offered views of animal life just below the surface. Thinking I was reaching the end of the lake, I was a little disappointed.  The other lakes had offered much more paddling opportunities but I tried to make the best of it.  Looking down, I noticed this large school of tadpoles.  They swam as a group, following the shadow of the kayaks and darting under under my boat.  I watched for what felt like hours just bobbing on the surface, totally enthralled.  It probably was only 20 minutes but I didn't want to tear myself away from this entertaining site.  John called me to another portion of the lake and I padded over towards him.  I hadn't realized that we were only at one end of the lake and it continued north around a bend to open up into a much larger body of water.  A few houses had lined the southern end due to being part of the park.  The Northern end on the other hand was different with houses, boats and docks lining the shore.  Fishermen were flicking their lines into the water, children splashing as parents watched.  Ducks and geese landed nosily in the water the was no longer warm nor shallow.  Fish left little ripples on the surface as evidence that they lurked just beneath.  We worked our way along the eastern shore, crossing the lake near the northern tip to the western shore as the sun started to get lower in the sky.  As we neared the launch I realized that we had spent longer that I originally thought we would and was ready for dinner.  









 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments