Missing Montana

By Leslie Parks - Saturday, November 22, 2008


We are going to Montana for Thanksgiving. I really do miss Montana. I miss the cowboys and pickup trucks. The kind of guys who don't worry about what store they shop at because what they wear to work are the same clothes they wear to church. The clothes that actually fit and don't ride around their knees. No fancy names written across their shirt to advertise where they've shopped. The trucks that are actually used for work and not for show. I miss the fact that when you are pulled over on the side of the road, people stop, even if you don't look like you need help. I miss seeing gun racks in the back of pickups. I miss the dances. There is always a place that has dancing during the weekend. I miss the banks and sporting good stores being open at 7:30 or 8 am because they open for the ranchers. I miss the change of seasons. I love the snow, real snow, the kind that falls thick and slow and fat and lasts more than a week. I miss the first signs of spring because you've seen too much snow and that crocus or tulip is really worth celebrating. I miss the hot summers, the kind that if you jump into a glacier fed creek it feels good. I miss the crunch of the leaves when you jump into the pile and the smell of a hot October afternoon. The kind of autumn day that started off below freezing in the morning and is 70 degrees by 4 o'clock. I miss my little red cracker jack box house, with the holes in the bathroom walls, the rooms that weren't quite level or square and the falling down garage. I miss cowboy hats and baseball caps and a nod of the head and the smiles. I miss being able to drive 7 hours and never leave the state. I miss the speed on the roads and the gravel and dirt lanes in the country. I miss the country where you may not see another house or car for 2 hours and no cell coverage. I love being able to look up at the stars on a cloudless night and really see the stars. I love the moonbows in the middle of the night and the northern lights. Yes, I do miss Montana.
I love my home here in Washington. The mild weather where you don't really have to wear a coat except for the week there is snow. I like it that I don't have to bundle the kids up into winter boots, hats, gloves and a scarf just to get into the car. I love the rooms in my house and how we fit. I love the views of the oceans and the mountains. I love the variety of foods, all the berries and fruits. The restaurants of different nationalities here, not just pizza and tacos. I love the different activities and opportunities like going swimming in Canada for less than $10 for the family. I love the hiking and biking trails in our county. I love the kinds of stores here, like Restoration Hardware (a store for dreaming) and Treasury of Memories for scrapbooking. I love being able to skip rocks in the ocean one weekend and finding a place to sled just 60 miles away on top of Mount Baker the next weekend. I love being able to sleep under the stars in April on an island. I love the soccer fields and I do like the time spent on them watching the kids. Yes, I do love Washington.
My heart is in two places but only with one man.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments