Fragrance Lake Hike

By Leslie Parks - Monday, February 09, 2009




A mud slide along the trail. See how high up the mud is on these trees. It must have been moving fast. I can't even begin to imagine it.





Saturday was a beautiful and we really had nothing pressing. So we called Job's friend and invited him on a hike with us. We left our house at 1 and returned around 5. We headed down to Chuckanut and turned in at Hi-line Road. We parked at the gate and headed out. We hiked into the lake taking breaks for granola bars. Once at the lake we climbed around a small rock enclave and then walked around the lake taking time to throw rocks onto the ice and listen to it bounce. It has a strange almost metallic vibrating noise and the rocks skid across the ice.
Then back to the trail to hike down to the car. We stopped at the water fall and I took tons of pictures for my photography class. I was having problems getting the shots required, not enough light for really fast shutter speeds.
Trying leading lines. I wanted to use the log to lead the eye.
Madison, she isn't running around on the trail anymore. She pretty much sticks right by us.
Isaac's ever present backpack.
I love this picture of Job peeking through a tunnel.
I am so much more comfortable shooting in Aperture mode rather than shutter speed.
We played, climbed to the top, dog-dared each other to do stupid stuff and snacked. Then down we continued. I am always last. I kind of make sure that kids aren't having problems. I encourage them on and give them water and treats, tie shoes, kiss hands, watch for hikers so they can go to the bathroom and all sorts of other stuff. Everyone was out of range and had been for a good ten minutes. I didn't get too worried, they were just up a head. Isaac was leading the way, followed by Job and his friend, then Lona and Madison and finally John. After a while I hear, "LESLIE, LESLIE." I shout back and can kind of hear them, something about wrong way. I start hustling down the trail and end up at the car. No family, no dog. Just our car, no keys. I start back up the trail, which of course was the steepest part and I almost get to the top when the kids come barreling over the crest of the hill. They are practically running down to the car. Apparently, Isaac went the wrong way at a fork and was clear down to a gate when John caught up with Lona, Job and Henry. He didn't' remember there being a gate across the path. He asked the kids where Isaac was and they said he was up ahead. He called Isaac back and they retraced their steps back to the main trail. I went right by the fork, and didn't' see it so I was still on the main trail. They would have reached the road probably in another five minutes and then would have had to hike back up the road to the car. We just have to make sure that the kids stop at forks and wait. If the younger boys wouldn't have seen Isaac and kept up on the main trail, I think that Isaac might have panicked a little bit.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments