Reading and motivation

By Leslie Parks - Thursday, February 12, 2009


My son Job is generally not a big reader. Oh, he'll read things like Calvin and Hobbes, Popular Science and National Geographic for Kids, but generally fiction books are not his forte. Isaac on the other hand loves to read. He picked up the book The Westing Game yesterday morning and finished it in the afternoon. That book was too easy. Lona is just on the verge of reading. She can read better than she thinks. It stresses her out when I ask her to read a paragraph because she doesn't want to do it, she looks at the length and decides it is too hard even though she knows most of the words. I think we are all like this to some degree with things. Back to Job though. Job received Prince Caspian the movie for Christmas. I told the kids that they couldn't watch the movie until they read the book. So almost every night for two weeks I read a chapter from the book. When we were done we watched the movie. Job asked for the movie The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. So I bought the movie and he grabbed the book and started reading it. In one day he read 7 chapters! I was impressed.
Yesterday he asked Lona if she wanted him to read to her, so he grabbed the book and started where he left off. She was greatly upset because she didn't have the benefit of the first seven chapters. I'll read it to her. For Job to watch the movie after reading the book is a great help. He is so sensitive to movies that knowing what is coming up helps him not to be scared and run out of the room to play legos. Not that it is a bad thing but he'll never be able to go a movie theatre this way. I can identify with him because I sometimes have to leave the room as well. But he leaves the room with G movies. I don't think that he was able to sit through Nemo because it was too scary. I love that kid.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments