Referee

By Leslie Parks - Saturday, September 12, 2009





This year Isaac is old enough to take the class 9 referee clinic. He paid his fee for class and spent 12 hours in class and about 2 hours a day on top of that studying. He took his test and passed. He received his ref patch, ordered his uniform, logged in on the ref site, and filled out the paper work. Today he ref ed two games. He had a U7 boys and U6 girls. He asked to wake up early today to make sure he was on time to his games. He told me this morning that it was a lot more exciting before he had passed his test. I see that being true for me as well. I find it easier to dream than to pursue the dream. He checked in and then had to wait for the games to start. He paced, talked, sat, stood, and paced some more. I think that he even pinched his neck. Finally the game started. It was hot and sunny. Finally the game started after two mini games he was thirsty. He was done with his first ref experience by 11:30. The parents came and told him "good job."
Mom: "Isaac, what do you think you did right?"
Isaac: "Most of the time I did my hand motions correct."
Mom: " Do you want to ref again?"
Isaac: "Yes, definitely."
Mom: "What do you need to work on?"
Isaac: "Getting closer to the plays."
Isaac: "I am so nervous. I'm terrified."
Mom: "What are you terrified about?"
Isaac: "emailing boss"
Mom: "why?"
Isaac: "I've never met him before and I don't know what to say."
Isaac, I'm proud of you.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments