Dog Training and Camera Practice

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, January 19, 2010

So we've signed up for Dog Obedience classes at Cedarwoods.  I really like his philosphy and his teaching style.  It is so good.  The kids are learning about consistency and it is great practice for us as well.  Our motto around the house is "Say it once and then make him do it."  So if we say come, then we'd better make sure he'll come or make him come.  We are in week 2 of our 8 week class.  Every day we have to work our dog on the lesson of the week.  This week is heeling. We took him on a long hike and ended at Whatcom Falls Park on Sunday and then today we went to Whatcom Falls Park again.  It was beautfiul on Sunday so I brought my camera again with the purpose of taking photos.  Back to dog training.  We are supposed to provide distractions to our dog so that he learns to focus on us and not the distractions.  Being a retriever I thought that the distractions would be the ducks, and other dogs.  He looked at the ducks, but wouldn't get his feet wet.  He ate feathers instead.  Other dogs he'd wag but wouldn't actively try to meet them; in fact sometimes he'd ignore them completely.  That's what we want.  The biggest distraction for him were the kids.  He loves little kids.  He gets his tail wagging so hard that his body goes with it.  This was a good working session.  The other distraction was the garbage truck.  It scares him.  He tries to run or hide between my legs and he hates the noises of clinking bottles and rumbling parts.  Again it was good to get him to focus.  We as a family are learning so much.  Sometimes I wish that I had this training before I had kids.  Say it once and then make them do it.  Of course you can't zing-pop your kids but sometimes I think that a training collar would help.  Seriously though, the consistency is key in dog training and in parenting.

Now for camera practice.  I just joined the ILP (i love photography) web site. Free limited access.  And I am looking over the 2009 Understanding Exposure class.  I have the book and am reading the book and taking photos based on the assignments in the book.  I just started.  I think the class is over but the postings are still on there.  I learned a lot looking at their examples.  I like the book but love the examples of everyone who posted.  There is a moderator and she comments on the photos and talks about what might have gone wrong or what was right about their shots.  It helps.  So I but my camera on complete manual.  Read through my camera manual to make sure I knew how to change the aperature and shutter speed.  Then shot everything in manual.  I want to try it again this week.  Maybe tomorrow or Thursday.   These two photos were taken same place.  The first one was ISO 100, f/3.5, SS 1/80
The second one was ISO 100, f/3/5, SS 1/160.  This was the one that the camera said was correctly exposed but she was side lit by strong light that I wanted to lighten it up a bit.  Now this last photo, I had her take a couple of steps into the shade and turn towards the light.  I love the light in her eyes.  It's better.  Just wish she would brush her hair. 
And this is my favorite of the day.  I like the kids blurred in the background and they are focusing more or less on the dog and Skagit is so mellow.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments