House Projects

By Leslie Parks - Friday, January 22, 2010

We moved into this house 9 years ago this February.  Ever since we moved in there are a few things that I wanted to change.  In fact I have an ongoing list.  Some are major, some are minor changes.
Major changes:  Fireplace surround with built in bookcases (John will never go for that one)
Granite counter tops in the kitchen.  (possible but way down the road)
Built in desk in the family room (slim to none  and slim's out of town)
Different faucets in the house (over John's dead body)
French doors instead of sliding doors (yeah, right: dream on)

Minor things:  crown molding in living room, dining room, our bedroom (check off living room)
replace light fixtures in our bathroom (when I actually get a job)
replace the carpet (maybe in my life time)
paint the entry way (need some tall ladders/scaffolding)
Install pullouts using the existing cupboards in the kitchen.


I am very thankful that Rod came over to help John or really have John help him put up the molding. Rod told John how to stain and varnish the molding.  They set a date and Rod brought his tools over.  Then he measured, and cut and coved the molding.  Then he put the molding up on the ceiling and shot 2" nails into the molding and ceiling and walls.  John said that it would have taken him a couple more trips to the store and a few more board stained and maybe even a week to get it done. Being a new house you'd think that it would have nice straight ceilings but it doesn't.  There is a five inch difference in the ceiling from corner to the middle and back to the corner.  Rod made the molding curve to the ceiling and it doesn't look like it curves.  It just looks so good.  I now have just the little touch ups. I am very thankful for this and am excited to get to work on another project.  Hmmm.  John did bring home an organizing handyman magazine.  I think that I might have to save for a table saw for him.  I can think of a ton of projects to add to my minor list because of that magazine.  Sorry John.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments