Improv PJ Science

By Leslie Parks - Monday, November 15, 2010

Job was given these books about owls.  He loved them and read the first three books in a couple of weeks.   So I thought why not disect an owl pellet or two?  I ordered a kit from acorn naturalists and it arrived less than a week later.  I figured that John should be the overall science teacher.  Hey, he has his degree in chemical engineering - a perfect fit.  Naturally the best time to do a group science project is when John's at home - night time.  It just happened that it was after the much needed boys' shower that we had time to tear into these pellets.  I really thought that I would have a hands off approach and let John jump in.  He did, taking photos!  (That's my job!)  We found a complete skull, top and bottom and several other bottom skulls, lots of rib bones, some vertebrae, some femurs and lots of others.  We successfully seperated fur from bones.  Next step is to seperate bones into groups.  Wow, I didn't think that I would be so much work.  I thought that each kid would be able to work through their own pellet.  One pellet for five kids was just about right.







her face cracks me up, son visage me fait rire




Un ami de Job lui donne quelques livres au sujet des chouettes et hiboux.  C'est une bonne histoire entre 15 livres et Job avait le premier trois.  Je pense "c'est une bonne idea d'etudier des hiboux.  Alors j'achete quelques granules de hibou pour les enfants.  Ils ont dechirer les granules et trouver des cranes, vertebraes, femurs et nervures.  Je pense que John faisent l'activite avec les enfants mais il decide de prendre des photos.  Ca c'est pour moi!  Maintenant nous avons seperare les fourrure entre les os.  La prochaine etape est d'identifier les types d'os.  C'est un autre nuit.  Nos voisines vienent chez nous de participer.  Alors un granules entre cinq enfants sont parfait.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments