Exploring: Botanical Gardens in Boise

By Leslie Parks - Sunday, July 01, 2018


 We must really like botanical gardens because we've been to them in Hawaii, Whidbey Island, Idaho, Vancouver Island, and I am sure others as well.  There is something that piques our interest I suppose and I am sure that it is different for each of us.  This garden was built in the old exercise yard of the old prison.  The sandstone walls of the prison provided a beautiful backdrop to the English garden.  I think this was my favorite.  I almost felt like the walls were those of an old keep or castle. I'm a sucker for stone walls and boxwood.  If I could I would do large stone pillars with a little brickwork and wrought iron fencing and boxwood; lots and lots of boxwood.  So of course I loved their take on the English Garden complete with a little octagonal stone building. As soon I walked into this garden I felt this calmness spread over me.  It was quiet, serene and I could imagine a badmitten game and a picnic here.  Besides the English Garden we visited the Meditation Garden with the little bridges and flowing water.  John decided it was a great place for a nap and laid right out there on the grass but in the shade. Funny story about John laying out on the grass.  He's done this since before we were married and let's just say in France, it isn't alway permissible to lay on the grass in a public park.  Here is fine.  It just makes me smile everytime he does it. Then there was the Koi Pond.  As I sat on the ledge looking into the pond, I stretched out my hand about 2 feet above the water and the Koi came swimming right over. They were beautiful and very healthy looking and large.  We also took it a little of the Lewis and Clark Garden before exploring the Fire Wise Garden and the Vegetable Garden briefly.  We just couldn't get to everything and ran out of time. I could have spent the whole day here but it probably would have been a bit dangerous with all the ideas and thoughts running through my head. I  am not in the market for large square stones to place large ceramic pots with boxwood or lavender.  I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to talk him into stone pillars and wrought iron fencing but ceramic or cement pots are probably on the acceptable list.  If we have say a particular child attending the university in Boise I'm sure we will be back to visit this garden.












  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments