An Adventure: Schooner Zodiac

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, August 16, 2022


For some odd reason, beyond logic really, I have this idea that sailing would be rather wonderful.  The idea of sailing around the islands in the Puget Sound, sleeping on the boat, swimming, fishing, crabbing and being a tourist at many of the harbors sounds so appealing.  When John asked if I would like to go on a dinner and sunset sail for our anniversary, I couldn't say yes fast enough.  What I forget about is the fact that I don't do well bobbing around on the water.  I get sick and nauseous.  Going below deck does not work for me and yet I hold onto this dream of sailing.  Why?  I can not explain it.  It just is.  So we booked our tickets to join others on this sailboat and headed down to the harbor.  We joined the line of passengers making their way onto the deck of the schooner.  A schooner is a sailboat with at least 2 masts and the forward mast is shorter than the main mast.  This schooner was built in the 1920s and is on the national register list of historic places.  As I wandered over and through the schooner, I marveled at the attention to detail that was taken.  But as the boat pulled away from the dock, I knew I needed to return to the deck, the motion started taking a bit of a toll on me.  Once on deck, I set my eyes on the horizon to stabilize my motion, sipping on a sprite and making sure my camera was at  hand.  We were encouraged to help hoist the main sail and forward sail as both of these needed more hands than the crew could provide.  Once the sails filled with wind, the motors were cut and we were on our way.  The little discreet patch affixed behind my ear, started to kick in and I was able to enjoy the evening; though I didn't dare return below deck.  

















  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments