Isaac's 12th Birthday

By Leslie Parks - Monday, May 24, 2010

Fourth time in trying to express myself about Isaac turning twelve.  May be this post is more about me than him, I don't know. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a state of confussion with these changes I see in him. I love him so much and am proud of him.  I love listening to him play the piano, tell witty jokes, have an almost adult conversation with him, and listening to his insight about soccer, life, friends, anything.  John asked him if he was having school today.  He replied, "I wouldn't be so hasty to call it school."  Not quite a twelve year old's choice of words.  And yes, we had school but it was finishing piano projects and watching "Tora, Tora, Tora" (1970 movie about Pearle Harbor).  One of the things that I appreciate about this kid is that he can make fun of himself and his situations in a very funny way, not a depreciating way.  He has gotten himself into a little bit of trouble and has asked if I could reduce his sentence.  No. Within 5 minutes he was laughingly asking again.  I told him that I wasn't going to lighten his sentence but extend it until Tuesday if he didn't quit asking.  "Wait, this Tuesday?  You got a deal!"  Knowing full well that I meant next Tuesday.
We've gotten to playing VW in the car and I love to beat him seeing a VW parked and driving around town.  Any VW will do.  The day he turned twelve he needed to go to a friend's house 2 1/2 miles away.  We told him to ride his bike.  No way did he want to do that.  We made him anyway.  He started off and then I drove ahead of him and waited for him to catch up and then drove down the road and then waited.  We did this until he reached his friend's house.  Then I left and he was to return by himself.  The father called when the "Tiger left the den" and I kept track of the time.  When he had been gone for 1/2 hour and was still not home, I sent John after him.  He had gone the wrong direction and was almost to Guide Meridian, which is in the opposite direction from our house.  At twelve John was biking all over and so was I.  By the time I was twelve I had already traveled to Europe and back with just my little brother twice.  My mom stuck us on an airplane in Salt Lake City with a back pack of carmels and butterscotch candy.  We returned a month later after visiting our Grandparents in Switzerland.  I think that Isaac may have gone to Greene's and back with friends once.  Not quite the same.  Change is coming for him, for  me, for us.  He is starting to need deoderant!  This week he's getting braces and I'm sure that will be a blog post in itself.  Am I going to be able to adjust to the changes that are coming?  I don't know - I have to.  I'm excited and scared all at the same time.
Birthday celebration facts:  Three friends came over to celebrate - Nathan, Rhett, Gabe.  They played kick ball at Job's end of season soccer party and ate pizza.  Isaac had to prepare his own birthday dessert - homemade no bake fudge.  We opened gifts the next day.

Cette annee il y a beaucoup de changement dans la vie d'Isaac.  Il est douze maintenant et il veut faire plus de chose.  Nous decidons qu'il peut aller des places tout seul mais il faut conduit par velo.  Il vas chez ami et il est perdu.  Quand j'etais douze ans, je vais chez mes grandparents en Suisse seulement avec mon frere. Pour son anniversaire, il invite trois amis pour rester la nuit.  Ils mangent de pizza, jouent dehors et voir un filme. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments