Thanksgiving on the Volcano

By Leslie Parks - Monday, November 26, 2012

So while the rest of the family was enjoying Thanksgiving in Montana, Isaac and I stayed behind.  He had a big science test, teacher conferences, and chess tournaments.  He has been working so hard with HUGE difference from last year.  It would be difficult to have him take those days off and then try to play catch up when he's been doing so good.  I was quite excited about the prospect as well.  I mean I would have 5+ hours to myself everyday.  Wow, doesn't happen too often.  Those days were quicky filled and I didn't get as much done as I would like.  I met with each one of Isaac's teachers and I really like them.  I met with friends and caught up with them.  I ran around town and did errands that needed to be done.  I went shopping, that was for frills.  Isaac and I were going to head up to Canada and meet up with a photographer friend but it didn't work out.  Instead we spent Thanksgiving at Mount Baker.  I have to say that was wonderful!  I have done Thanksgiving dinner.  I can get the whole meal out on the table at the right time, I can have a clean house for that day.  I really didn't feel bad about not being traditional.  We took the Baker Bus up to the Mountain.  I would highly recommend this form of transporation.  It was $14 round trip from Bellingham Costcutter on Sunset.  I don't think I could have driven round trip for the $28 I spent for Isaac and I.  Isaac slept on the way up and on the way back.   We had a blast on the mountain and ate cold pizza and hot coffee/cocoa at the lodge.  The snow was great for being the second day open.  The slopes were empty, like having our own personal ski hill.  Some guy did say hello to me and Isaac asked who he was.  I had no idea.  Apparently Isaac doesn't like the fact that someone said hello.  He's funny.  You pass each other in the lodge and it's just polite to say hello.  What a knuckle head.  When we got home, he went right to bed and slept until the next morning.  His blood sugars were perfect that day but it wore him out.  The next day we went to see Skyfall and then he spent the night at a friends house so I was alone again.  I did manage to get the laundry done, the house decorated for Christmas and the tree up with most lights, but then John came home with the kids and we took off at a fast pace once again.  Last year I lost it right after Christmas but this year I feel great going into the Christmas season.  I think having that little bit of break to refresh before driving around corners at breakneck speeds really does help.  I may have to keep that in mind for next year. 











My friend did ask me to take photos of her family and I had a lot of fun.  I learned a lot.  I usually get so anxious when people ask me to photograph their families but I so enjoyed this. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments