A Rescue or Exercise?

By Leslie Parks - Wednesday, October 16, 2013



























Every since I could remember people have been hang-gliding or parachuting off the top of the cliff near my grandparents' house.  I heard stories that they would sometimes land in our backyard but mostly they land in Switzerland.  At the top, there is a designated take off point that we went to with the kids.  This time I just watched from the window.  On beautiful days there would be over twenty parachutists and others when the weather was bad none at all.  These sports aren't without their risks however and while I was there I witnessed not one, not two, but three different searches.  The helicopter lands at the tennis courts and from there does search operations.  I zoomed in as far as I could and could still barely see the people.  I had taken photos of the parachutists about an hour before the helicopter came in.  I took some photos then went for a run and by the time I came back the helicopter was searching.  At first I thought it might just be an exercise but when I zoomed in and started taking photos, I realized that I could see the color of a parachute and that there was more than one person being pulled up.  It was amazing to see these guys work.












  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments