An Outing: Eagle Nursery

By Leslie Parks - Thursday, May 26, 2016


I stepped out of the car and followed my friends down a forested path to an overlook of Boundary Bay.  Upon looking down, I stared, speachless, amazed.  Below me on the rocks, soaring in the air were Eagles, adults and juveniles. I watched rooted to my spot. Then realization hit and I was scrambling for my camera, my lens, kicking myself for not bringing my 70-200.  I laid down, not caring what I was laying on, and inched myself to the edge and stared taken photos. Their white heads showing up against the rocks and the water. I silently stayed there for a while enjoying the moment.  We headed down to the beach, wandering in and out of sunlight, in a tunnel of dark evergreen trees.  Magical almost, intimate, private. Stepping onto the beach, I sucked in my breath. They were there along the rocks, soaring at the base of the cliff, screeching from the trees.  Quickly laying down my belongings, I started to walk, slowly across the beach so not to scare these birds.  Hunters actually. I kept my camera ready, wanting to capture these hunters on film. I could only get so close and so I would wait, snap a few photos and move closer, hunker down and watch and take another photo.  Waiting for them to look, to fly, to stretch out their talons.  My friends waited patiently for me as I stalked these birds, watching and photographing the power as their wings lifted their huge bodies off the rock, the regalness of their stance on the rocks, their grace in the turns in the air, the rush of wind as they maneuvered their bodies through the thick branches surrounding this oasis of rocks.  We walked along the shore, talking, ambling among the rocks, listening to the eagles behind us. There were remnants of human occupation of this area, rusted out large containers now part of the landscape, almost beautiful in their own right.  A testimony of how we as people can make a mark upon a place but without care nature will overtake it and erase most of it until all that is left is rust soon to disappear too.  We returned to the eagles surrounding this calm pool of water. The tide was out and this pool remained, with large rocks creating the barrier between it and the sea.  The eagle perched upon the rocks looked as if they were attending a council meeting, solemn and important.  We sat and watched, pulling out our food, we ate lunch with the eagles. Eating lunch, watching them, so close I was overcome with the realization of how amazing this experience was and how blessed I am to live in a place that I could lunch with the eagles. So grateful for my friend who asked me to go with her to this amazing place, who remembered how much I like eagles, who was content to just wait as I photographed these amazing hunters.  Thank you Susan.













  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments