A Moment: Letting Go

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, July 19, 2016


There is a moment in every parent's life when they have to let go. It's hard but exciting as well. That moment when the kid learns to fly and leaves the nest. This was only for 5 days but even then it was ... well it just was. He was on his way to WSU for Alive Orientation and then work in Seattle.  I wanted to go with him just to experience the excitement of college with him, to get ideas for his room, to meet other parents and to go on a road with him. But instead I watched him pack his car and leave the neighborhood. I knew that I would receive an occasional text and not one phone call.  John expected more. We received a text from him in his dorm room.  It was similar to the one he is going to be living in. Upon arriving home, he was ecstatic about the fall.  He has his classes, he's seen his room mate, but not met him. He's made some friends and connected with them on Facebook. I'm starting to shop for the necessities such as sheets, towels, laundry detergent, body wash and deodorant.  I also have air freshener on the list.  I am excited for him. I just can't believe that it's happening. I recently went to a baby shower and the gal received some books that immediately flashed me back to sitting in Isaac's bed reading those very same books to him as a toddler. It really does pass fast. I'm ready and I know he is too.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments