A Lesson: Flying

By Leslie Parks - Friday, July 20, 2018




The idea of one of our kids being a pilot came up the other day by a family friend and I started thinking about it for Lona. I wasn't sure about it for the middle but decided to explore it for one of our kids. I talked to another friend who is a pilot and he was game for taking Lona up for a flight. In fact he offered to take both Job and Lona. I jumped at the chance. When I was in 8th grade we had an aviation unit. Each student had to "pass" an instrumentation knowledge test. If we passed then we could be in the driver seat of the plane and be in control. I was it for my group but was too chicken to do anything but fly straight. Fast forward to now and two out of three kids get the same chance only better.
We arrived at the airstrip and met Jason at the hanger. We walked out to the plane and the lesson began. I was so impressed. He walked around the plane doing a preflight check and explained what he was doing, what he was looking for and had the kids follow him. The whole time he was engaging them in what he was doing including why he was checking the fuel and the tank.
Then once in the plane, he had the person up front go through the preflight checklist and showed what switches, gauges, and knobs to push/pull or check. Once complete, he had them taxi out while he radioed the tower and asked for clearance.  The each had a turn taxiing down the runway. Once they were in position, they were to step on the brakes hard and pull out the throttle and the engined revved, the plane was almost jumping to start lifting off.  Jason took control as the kid felt through the yoke and pedals what he was doing.  He has such an amazing way of teaching. It truly is a gift and you can tell he is passionate about flying. Once we were in the air, he had that particular person fly us to or from Friday Harbor Airport.  It was amazing.  They each came home pumped up about flying but each one had a different idea of what kind of career they would want.  Lona likes the idea of commercial airlines and Job has an idea of more smaller craft like cargo plane or medi-vac flights. 
Now the flight to Friday Harbor was uneventful and calm.  Job flew back and there were a little more ups and downs and circle spins.  These were purposefully done and I left my stomach over Lopez Island.  Truly I felt like I was still flying 4 hours later. I get that with treadmills, elevators, car rides, boat rides (even on calm lakes), and airplane rides.  I don't get sick, I just feel like I am still moving and in this case, still going up and down and around and around.  Lona wants to go again just to experience the "floating". She experienced it from the back but this time she wants to be able to be the one that does it to others. She also wants to spin the plane on the wing.  That's how we got the ferry photo.
















  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments