An Activity: Kayaking in the Sound

By Leslie Parks - Thursday, July 26, 2018

It seems like it happens more often these days. The kids off on their various "adult-like" activities and we are left with a free evening. All of them drive now so the dropping off has decreased drastically. We no longer are driving consistently to and from soccer practices provided there is a car for each of them to drive and it isn't mine. EVER or mostly ever. Isaac has the best driving record and so he occasionally, once in a blue moon is allowed to take it out on an errand. But this night, he walked. We both laughed and were a bit shocked but he elected to walk into Ferndale and to the other side. Job had headed up to go camp in the van with friends, with a cooler packed full of food - hot dogs & buns, frozen sausages, baby carrots, crescent rolls in a can, and apple juice.  More power to him. Thankfully our friends he camped with took care of him and fed him.  Thank you Tara.  And well Lona was Lona and went to a concert in Seattle with a very responsible friend. So that left John and I alone with a beautiful Pacific Northwest evening and the kayaks ready to go. A lake was too tame this night and I had wanted to kayak around the bend at Marine Park.  We had already kayaked from Boulevard to almost Marine Park but I wanted to explore someplace else.  I am so glad we did.  We found a new picnic spot around the bend and judging by the amount of people it is quite popular. Armed with nothing but my phone camera I proceeded to take as many photos as I could bouncing above the waves. It was beautiful and within 20 minutes my legs were soaked with water but it felt nice after a hot day. We slowly made our way around the bend and towards Clarks Point Trail.  We didn't go as far as Chuckanut Rock but I think that might be my next destination on the kayaks. I took us about an hour to paddle that far and the tide was pulling us north back towards Marine Park.  We turned around and headed back to shore to take in the sunset and it was spectacular.














  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments