A Vacation: Cannon Beach

By Leslie Parks - Monday, July 30, 2018

The foam folds up upon itself swirling around my feet, drawing back again. Over and over again. Cleansing the beach and myself with it. There is stillness in the movement, the coming and drawing back - over and over again.
I close my eyes, as the water swirls again. I draw a deep breath in allowing myself to match the rhythm of the ocean. Exhale and the water recedes, my toes feel the pull of the current. Over and over again.
The voices of do, do, do begin to fade, the waves with their deafening sound drowns volume of those voices. The water comes and draws back taking those voices with it. Over and over again.
Another wave and  I match my breath to the rhythm set by the water, the salt spray becomes apparent  with each breath. As the salt smell grows stronger with each swirl and drawing away, I become present in the moment. Over and Over again.
My hair untamed matches the pattern and colors of the ocean; swirling around my face as the wind pushes and pulls it in a rhythm apart from the waves and yet in tune with them. The silver swirls of the waves, the silver strands of my hair merging into each other. Over and over again.
I find the quiet, the stillness, the rest here at the edge of the ocean The ocean with its energy, power, and movement pounding relentlessly against the sand forcing me to let go and to feel the energy; yet my soul stills. Over and Over again.
I can do nothing else but rest. I cannot tame the waves before me, as they move closer and farther. I can just rest into the rhythm. Drawing in my breath, feeling the ocean live, smelling the ocean's perfume, seeing the colors dance before me in the waves, hearing the symphony of life at the edge, tasting the spray upon my lips. I rest over and over again.












  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments