Vacation: Yurt life

By Leslie Parks - Tuesday, July 03, 2018


Maybe I should have a bucket list on my labels because staying in a Yurt has been on my bucket list.  A yurt is a modern version of a structure used by nomads for centuries.  They are also known as a Ger.  They are portable, circular in design and have a lattice framework which is covered by canvas or fabric.  It also has a tension system for the roof.  This one was covered with canvas and had a skylight that opened and closed.  We had electricity, a heater stove, and wifi. The floor was a hardwood platform, and there was a queen size bed, two futons, a desk and table.  There were few things that surprised me. The first thing was how cool a fan and the open skylight and windows kept the yurt during very warm days.  The second thing was how warm it was at night as long as you closed the windows and the skylight.  It was very comfortable.  The first night we didn't close the skylight and we were chilly but the next few nights it was perfect.  I really enjoyed staying here.  There wasn't a refrigerator and so we brought our own.  Seriously we hauled a small dorm fridge and extension cord all the way to Boise so I could have a fridge. It was perfect.  The other thing I wish I brought but didn't think of was a couple of dish pans so I could do dishes but we made it work.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments