Exploring: Beehive Hike

By Leslie Parks - Monday, August 09, 2021


It was early afternoon when we decided to for a hike up Beehive in Acadia.  Three young men and I opened the car doors and piled out at the trailhead.  Of the three guys, two of them had hiked Beehive and one had never even hiked at all.  This was his first introduction.  We started up the rocky trail towards the granite dome.  It wasn't long after starting when we reached the base of the dome. We started the scramble upwards while cell phones quickly went into my pack. Stone stairs led us upwards to iron bars placed on the edge so we could continue upwards.  After traversing the iron bars, we had reached the iron rungs placed so that we could continue the climb to the top.  Standing on my tippy toes, I stretched out my arms to grab the rung so I could haul myself up.  Any shorter and I would have needed a boost.  Once on top, we found a stop to sit and enjoy the views of the Gulf of Maine that stretched out before us.  Islands dotted the horizon and the guys named the different ones that they had patrolled.  The sun started to sink creating beautiful golden light but curtailing our hike so that we could only make it down before darkness truly set in.













 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments