Flooding and Ice Skating

By Leslie Parks - Thursday, January 08, 2009

Today our family split into two or rather three. John was at work, Isaac went with a buddy, and Lona, Job and I met friends ice skating. I sent John's camera with Isaac. They were going to go look at the flood and then hang out.




It only cost us $11 to go ice skating for 2 hours. Ice skating for 2 hours is an extremely long time when a) I don't ice skate and b)neither do my kids. They loved it though. It was so fun to meet up with another family. They were so patient with our kids. I don't think that Lona would have had as much fun if Adrienne wasn't along. Adrienne's zest and enthusiasm is contagious. She wasn't cold, tired, or hurt even though she spent a good deal on the ice. Lona and Adrienne would skate around together and help each other up.



There was a coach with her student. I don't mind ice skating when everyone else is about as graceful as I am, but then there are always those who make me feel like a bull in a china shop. I could have stopped and watched this gal work the whole time. Alas I had small children on the ice; and they were ON the ice.
Chris and Nicole were wonderful with the girls. The girls wanted to skate by themselves and we let them, but were within helping range the whole time. Mike and I had a rousing game of tag. Mike won. I just can't keep up with an 11 year old.
Lona really is helping Adrienne up. It just looks like she's pushing her head into the ice.
What would ice skating be without the Zamboni machine. "I wanna drive the zamboni"
These are the pictures Isaac took around Ferndale. Do you see how high the water is on the semi-trucks? Can you imaging the damage? An then the water around the fuel pumps. That could potentially be very hazardous.The people in these houses. Isaac said that he saw a house with two little kids peeking out the front window with a row boat tied to the front porch. The water was up to the top step of the porch. I look around our house and think of all the things on the floor or close to it that I wouldn't want damaged. Like the scrapbooks. These are my memories. The other stuff can be replaced, but my memories. So I wonder how they are dealing with the flood. I guess Red Cross has opened a shelter in Bellingham for people displaced from the flood.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments