Panning

By Leslie Parks - Thursday, February 04, 2010

I'm trying to pan again.  First, mount your camera onto a tripod.  Second, place your camera in TV or Manual (this is a must).  Third, set your ISO to an acceptable level.  100 for sunny, 200-640 for cloudy, 800+ for indoors - just a general rule of thumb.  Fourth, set your shutterspeed to a slow shutter speed.  If in TV then the camera will automatically adjust the aperature, otherwise set it to a correct exposure, (you're camera has a bar inside the view finder that will show a correct exposure when it is in the middle - this is the camera's correct exposure).  Now focus on an area that is the same distance as your subject when they cross infront of you.  Have your subject ride their bike in front, as they do this swivel the camera at the same speed while taking the photo.  The subject should be in focus and the background should be blurred.  That is the theory anyway.  This takes some practice.  I'm obviously still practicing.  It just looks so neat when it happens.  This year I would like to work on sharp focus with my camera, acheiving a sunburst, and panning.  Some days I just feel so frustrated because my photos don't turn out the way I have envisioned.  The sites that I've link show exactly what I'm trying to achieve.  Staci Bailey is an incredible photographer.  Take a look at the eyes of her little boy.  And ehow has explained better than me how to do these different things. Email any sunbursts, sharp focusing and panning photos.  I'd love to see them.
parksfamilee2@comcast.net

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments